During the chilly winter months, we long for the days when we don’t have to leave the house in layers. Unless you live in a warm and sunny climate year-round, this is your daily reality! As the seasons change, so should your hair care routine. Hair care in winter is totally different from those breezy and bright months of summer. Do you have a winter hair care routine? If not, let’s change that!
Taking care of your hair (and hair extensions if you have them!) when the temperatures drop is crucial to your overall hair health. You wouldn’t go outside without your coat, right? Well, you also shouldn’t go outside without taking the winter hair care steps that protect your strands from the bitter temps and elements. We’ll go over why your hair care in winter is important, along with some winter hair care tips from our Big Kizzy team. Bundle up, and don’t forget to give your hair some extra TLC!
Why Hair Care in Winter is Different Than Other Seasons
Remember those days of summer with humidity wreaking havoc on your hair with frizzy strands? Well, now that the humidity is gone, the air is much drier and, well, colder! Cold and dry air can cause your hair's cuticle to lift slightly, which means less moisture is sealed into those strands. So now, instead of frizz due to humidity, you’re having frizz because of breakage (which can lead to damaged hair!).
Cold weather can also dry out your scalp, which can cause itchiness and dryness. Your winter hair care routine should include washing your hair less since that can dry your hair and scalp out even further. When you wash your hair, you strip it of natural oils, and we need all the moisture we can get during frigid temps. This equals dull hair lacking the hydration it needs.
You might also notice your hair shedding more than usual during the dry and cold winter season. It’s normal to shed slightly, but brittle hair can make it even worse. And if you leave your house with slightly wet or damp strands, your hair could literally freeze (yeah, we’re serious!). Leading to, yep you guessed it, more damage. Oh, and let’s not forget that blustery winds, possible snow, and static electricity are all wreaking havoc on our hair this winter, too (yay!).
Don’t fret just yet—all hope is not lost! We can still save your strands with our winter hair care tips up next!
Winter Hair Care Tips for Healthy Tresses
Have you officially decided you aren’t leaving the house again during winter? As tempting as this sounds, we know we’re going to have to eventually meet the cold once again (and indoor heat can also dry out your strands, so we don’t have many options here!) Our locks need that extra attention with winter hair care as we navigate the dropping temps. We’ll help you keep those tresses looking and feeling great as we triumphantly see spring on the horizon!
Use these winter hair care tips to protect your strands all season long:
- Avoid washing your hair with hot water (this makes it more prone to breakage!) Wash your hair with lukewarm water and follow with a cold water rinse.
- Cover up your locks with a hat to shield them from wind, snow, and dry air. Look for hats lined with silk or satin, as wool, cotton, and other fabrics can cause extra friction.
- Never go outside in freezing temperatures with wet or damp hair. Ensure your strands are fully dry before bracing the cold air outside.
- Try to wash your hair only a few times a week so you don’t strip it of its natural oils (you need all the moisture you can get during the winter!).
- Refresh your hair with a dry shampoo and dry conditioner on the days you skip washing it!
- When you do wash your hair, use a moisturizing shampoo to remove the daily buildup without stripping your hair’s natural oils.
- Give your hair a blast of moisture with a deep conditioner! This will help alleviate the issue of dried-out strands and static-prone hair. Use it daily or as a deep-conditioning hair mask.
- Limit heat styling as much as possible during winter to avoid further damaging or drying your hair.
- Use a keratin-infused serum to help seal the cuticle, maintain moisture, and control frizz.
- Add hair oil to your routine to restore your hair’s moisture balance by hydrating from the inside out.
- Get regular trims since your hair is more prone to split-end damage, especially during the winter months.
Find everything you need for winter hair care with Big Kizzy! We also have all the essential hair extension products you need for application, removal, and maintenance. Sending you warm wishes and hydrated tresses for hair that looks its best throughout any season!