Weft hair extensions are one of the most popular methods to give your hair that extra volume and length you’ve been dreaming of! They’re long-lasting and blend flawlessly with your natural strands. As much as you’ll absolutely love your new weft hair extensions, you’ll eventually have to remove them (or have them adjusted and reapplied!).
If you’re wondering how to remove weft extensions, the short answer is to book an appointment with a hair extension specialist. This way, you can ensure you don’t damage or accidentally cut your natural hair in the process. While it’s always recommended to use a stylist for removal, removing your own weft extensions at home is possible if you can’t make it to the salon.
Our Big Kizzy team will go over how to remove weft hair extensions with a general overview for all of you DIY hair gurus. Ready to get started? Make sure you’re taking notes!
What Are the Different Types of Weft Hair Extensions?
The term “weft hair extensions” covers several application methods and types (check out our other post all about weft hair extensions!). A weft of hair can either be hand-tied or machine-sewed with a seam that holds the hair extension hair together. Each hair extension specialist will have their preferred ways of application, as will their clients.
Most often, you’ll see weft hair extensions applied with either the sew-in (weave) or beaded (NBR extensions, IBE, micro-link, etc.) method. Some other popular methods of hair extensions available include bonded or tape-in hair extensions. It all depends on your individual preference of what you want for your hair!
How to Remove Weft Extensions
With the basics out of the way, now we’re ready to learn how to remove weft hair extensions. If you’re curious how to remove beaded weft hair extensions at home or sew-in, it’s best that you go with a professional (unless your BFF is a stylist!) It’s recommended that sew-in, beaded, and bonded wefts of hair are removed by hair extension experts to avoid damaging your strands. However, if you’re feeling confident about DIY hair extension removal, we’ll give you some quick tips ahead!
Sew-In Weft Hair Extension Removal
1) Twist your natural hair up and clipped out of the way to avoid mixing with your extensions.
2) Start at the top of your head and use your fingers to feel for the thread attachment points.
3) While holding your hair extension, slide one end of your scissors underneath the thread where your braids are.
4) Gently tug the weft and snip the thread (being VERY careful not to cut your natural hair!) until the weft hair extensions are loose and can be removed from your hair.
5) Repeat this step layer by layer until all your hair extensions are out.
6) Undo your braids (using the tip of a rattail comb can help loosen them) and detangle your hair before washing to avoid matting.
Beaded Weft Hair Extension Removal
1) Section your hair into manageable sections using hair clips to secure your natural hair out of the way.
2) Find the attachment points in your hair by feeling for the small threads that are held to the wefts.
3) Use a pair of scissors to cut the threads as close to the base of the weft as possible, being careful to stay away from your natural hair.
4) You may need to use the tip end of a rat tail comb to loosen the thread from your hair.
5) Continue the previous step for each hair extension weft until all threads have been cut and wefts have been removed.
6) Next is removing the beads or microlinks! Use hair extension pliers to gently squeeze each bead or microlink to remove them, being careful not to catch your natural strands in the process.
7) Repeat the previous step for each individual bead or microlink attachment point until all have been removed.
8) Use a wide-toothed comb to work through any tangles or knots before you wash your hair.
Hair Care After Hair Extension Removal
Now that you know how to remove weft extensions, it’s important to take proper care of your extensions and natural hair. Use hair extension-safe hair care products such as shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in treatments for gorgeous tresses. Ensure your strands are healthy and ready for your next hair extension application with a solid maintenance routine!
And for those of you who are using tape-in hair extensions, we have everything you need for application and removal! From tape to removers, grab all of the essential products you’ll need at the Big Kizzy online shop.