THE PERFECT TAPE IN HAIR EXTENSION APPLICATION TUTORIAL
Why do some people love tape in hair extensions and why do some people hate them? Because tape hair extension are so easy to do that they are kinda hard. Every single step you do to install tape in hair extensions is important. Even if you don't think it is.
If you skip any step or try and do an application on yourself chances are you are going to have an issue at some point. It may not be today, tomorrow or next week. It can be the difference between getting 6 weeks or 8 weeks.
How do we know? Because hairdressers use and love our tape in hair extension products in all across the US.
Check out the super quick tape in extension application video below and follow along reading the instructions below. And do let us know if you have any question.
How to Apply Tape in Hair Extensions Tutorial
Prepare Your Hair
- Shampoo, condition and blow dry your hair.
- Use a clarifying shampoo to get your hair squeaky clean.
- Keep conditioner away from the general area you plan to attach your extensions.
- Make sure your hair is completely dry.
- Don't use any products that have any oil or silicone in them when you apply extensions.
Prepare Your Tape Extensions
- Remove old hair extension tape from your tape extension panels.
- Oily or excessively sticky extensions? You will need to shampoo them.
- Make sure you are using the right hair extension tape for your hair type and lifestyle.
- Apply new hair extension tape to the clean extensions panel. Make sure the extension tape perfectly aligns with the extension panel.
PRO TIP: Oil based products & conditioners are the enemies of extension tape.
Tape Extension Application
- Heat a flat iron to about 200 degrees.
- Right before you apply your tape extensions - tap the first panel (where the tape is applied to the extension panel) for about 1/2 a second and then immediately apply to your hair. Repeat with the other half of the extension "sandwich".
- Make sure both panels are perfectly aligned with each other.
- Evenly press the extensions "sandwich" together.
- For best results use Big Kizzy's tape extension sealing tool - Blueberry. Blueberry applies an even pressure to "seal" tape extensions panels. The Blueberry Sealing Tool dramatically reduces slippage and "bond" failure.
WAIT 48 HOURS to SHAMPOO. Be extra gentle the first time you shampoo a new tape extensions application.
The Goldilocks Rule. Just Right. Don't put too much hair inside the tape extensions sandwiches. This can prevent the tape from adhering to each other properly. Make sure you get enough hair inside the tape extension sandwiches. Not enough hair can cause slipping- an even thin layer of your hair should be enough
Press It, Press It Real Good Rule Every other day press all your tape "sandwiches" together. This will make sure your tape sandwiches stay sealed together-reducing slippage and bond failure.
TAPE EXTENSION CARE TIPS
Always shampoo your hair extensions in an even downward motion, making sure not to pull or twist the extension sandwiches.
Use conditioner from the middle of your hair towards the ends. Leave on for 3 to 5 minutes. Keep conditioner away from where the extensions will be applied.
Rinse conditioner from your hair as usual, and towel dry to remove the majority of moisture from the extensions.
BLOW DRY PREP: Tape extensions sandwiches are the most fragile when wet. Dry your roots first, even if you are going to let your hair air dry. Press the panels together as you dry the root area of your hair.
Once your roots are mostly dry, spray from the mid-shaft to the ends of your hair with Big Kizzy's Happy Hour Dry Conditioner.
With one of your hands press down on your head approximately where the tape extension panels are going to be brushed. Gently brush with a wide tooth detangling brush.
BLOW DRY STYLE: Apply Split Personality Keratin Serum from the middle of your hair down. As you blow dry your hair spray two to three pumps of Big Kizzy's Happy Hour Dry Conditioner as needed to help keep the hair tangle free, shiny and hydrated. Use one spray at a time.
NO OIL OR CONDITIONERS AT THE ROOT: Oil based products and Conditioners should never be used where the tape in hair extensions attach to your own hair.
HOW TO EXTEND YOUR TIME BETWEEN SHAMPOOS
Space out your blowouts to every other day. This will extend the life of your extensions and the life of the application.
It's best to space out your shampoo/blowouts to every other day. This will extend the life of your extensions and the life of the application.
DRY SHAMPOO Big Kizzy's Late Nights Dry Shampoo instantly softens, deodorizes and volumizes your hair. It was designed to help extend the life of hair extensions by reducing shampoo frequency.