WHY WE LOVE WICKED ROOTS HAIR EXTENSIONS
A HAIRDRESSER'S GUIDE ON HOW TO CHOOSE GOOD HAIR EXTENSIONS EVERY TIME
We all know that not all hair extensions are made equally. However, the truth is, how much you paid doesn't necessarily indicate quality. Sometimes it can feel like a crap shoot.... Did you get the good weave or the weave that wears you! Weave all seen someone out and about that should be on the pilot episode of, “When Good Weaves Go Bad”. Hair extensions should be fun. And they should definitely make you feel beautiful.
You might say, Christopher, cut the crap and just tell us the truth right now. Life is short and I’ve got Tik Toks to watch. And I would say, sit back relax - school is in session and I have some weave TELLS of my own. When it comes to good hair, I know a thing or two. I have been playing with extensions for 25 years. Trust me, Nana knows his hair.
WHY ARE YOU WEARING HAIR EXTENSIONS? Are you a weekender, a tourist or a lifer? Not everyone is looking for a long haul romance. My general rule of thumb is that if you are LIVING in your hair everyday aka “long hair romance” it is def worth it to spend a little more on your hair extensions. If you are a “weekender” then you might be able to get by on a nice set of budget minded clip-in hair extensions or a halo. (or even convert your old tapes into clip-ins)
- THE WEEKENDER - CLIP IT | BAND IT: Do you wear your hair like a hot new date? Do you like the way it makes you feel? And yet, it also feels pretty good to leave it behind after spending a few days together? I would recommend something temporary like clip-ins or a halo. Both are a great way to flirt with a hair extension romance.
- TOURIST - TAPE IT: Oui, Oui Monsieur. I love France. The Eiffel Tower, croissants and le discothèque... Any good tourist knows you need at least 2 weeks to experience a city properly. You can take on a whole new identity with hair extensions while you are abroad. And when you come home, you can easily return to your everyday awesomeness. The best part is you can use tapes you lovingly named “Joelle” again, rename them Julia and off to Spain you go.
- LONG HAUL ROMANCE AKA LIFER - TAPE IT | CLIP IT | BAND IT: If you have ever named your hair extensions then you definitely fall into this category. If one of the longest relationships you have ever been in was with a set of hair extensions - you are a lifer. If you have worn hair extensions for a really long time then you certainly have worn several types. And you probably have had a couple bad sets too. Maybe you’ve even had to deal with damage from wearing the wrong kind for your hair? Most lifers have been through all of the above and more. Sometimes it’s nice to take a break from permanent extensions and just wear a halo when you go out. Most women I have spoken with say it is the equivalent of “taking off your bra”... it’s nice to do that when you are at home but you need something like a sports bra if you go out. Wink!
REMY VS NON REMY - DOES IT MATTER? Essentially, the word Remy implies that the cuticle of the hair goes in one direction. This is usually what is deemed, “good hair”. Non Remy means that somewhere along the way the hair strands ended up in opposing directions. There are many advanced ways that hair can be processed to make Non Remy hair feel as good as Remy Hair. Equally, if the hair wasn’t properly decolorized or lightened then Remy Hair can be a problem as well.
Whether hair is Remy or Non Remy does DOES matter but it is not the end all be all. And just because it says it is Remy does not mean that it is. This word is frequently abused in the labeling of hair extensions.
WHAT COLOR IS YOUR HAIR? As a general rule of thumb, darker hair colors can get away with more moderately priced extensions. Why? For the most part darker hair colors have had less chemicals applied to them. This is not always the case but it is common.
Blondes definitely get the chemical treatment. They go through what is called a “slow bleach process” to bring them from dark brown/black to platinum blonde. This usually takes several days to achieve. If this process is rushed it can definitely compromise the integrity of the extensions making them wear out faster.
WHAT KIND OF WARRANTY COMES WITH YOUR EXTENSIONS? Most reputable brands offer a warranty on the quality of their products. Warranties widely vary. I feel that a company that offers a warranty is in it for the long haul. Over the years of doing extensions, having a good warranty on the hair I was installing has saved me many many times.
ALWAYS DO A CHECK WASH: Because extensions are an all natural organic product (lol) - quality and longevity will often vary. Remember, someone was wearing that hair before you got it after all. I recommend doing what we call in the salon biz is a “check wash”.
- Remove the extensions from its packaging - without breaking the seal that holds the extensions together. Some companies will not allow you to return it or exchange it if this seal is broken.
- Shampoo the hair at least 2 times. Lightly condition and then place on a towel. Hold onto the end of the extensions. Using a cutting comb start combing through the hair in an even downward motion.
- Do this repeatedly and watch how the hair is reacting. Is it easy to comb through? Does the hair bunch up? Is it tangly?
- Let the hair air dry and then repeat the process. Your hair extension should feel healthy and non tangly.
Most hair extensions look good when you get them. They are usually sprayed with some type of silicone and then heat pressed to make them look silky, shiny and healthy. Doing a check wash will show you what is really going on with your hair. You can hide a lot of stuff with a silicone coating.
If it isn’t up to par you can exchange it per your warranty guidelines. Please make sure to check the manufacturer’s warranty policy before doing a check wash.
ALWAYS KEEP YOUR OLD HAIR: One last tip - keep your old hair. Especially if you are new to hair extensions. Lifers always have an extra set they can use, just in case something happens with a new hair install. Plus, you can convert tapes into clip-ins and then convert them back into tapes if you want. Also, it allows you to have a variety of colors that can be used for future sets and color adventures.
WICKED ROOTS HAIR EXTENSIONS + BIG KIZZY HAIR
In my experience, the best way to guarantee you have an excellent hair extension experience is to do your research about the company you are buying your hair from. Having a long term relationship with a solid hair extension company really does help when and if things go wrong. Luckily for you, weave got you covered.
I am excited to announce that we are officially partnering with Wicked Roots Hair Extensions. They offer a wide variety of professional quality extensions that you can apply to your own hair in a variety of ways. They offer a very generous warranty and exchange program.
My favorite part is that they are competitively priced for the quality of hair that you are getting. AND they offer the colors that are needed to keep up with today's color trends. This is really important. Getting a good color match will save you lots of time and money. It is A LOT of work to modify the color of hair extensions. Often times, it delivers very mixed results.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Buy pro extensions if you can. Check out Wicked Roots Hair Extensions - they offer pro extensions to anyone who wants to buy amazing hair. They also have a separate program for stylists as well. I LOVE that!
- Get the right extension product for your hair. Are you a weekender? A tourist? Or a Lifer?
- What color is your hair? If you are blond then it is always a good idea to invest in better quality hair if you can.
- Warranty & Hair Check - What kind of warranty is offered? Always do a check wash before installing or wearing your extensions. Trust me this will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.
- Keep your old hair extensions. You just never know if you might need them for a future use. I also like to take old tape ins and convert to clip ins. You can also use old tapes for color variation.
- Long term weave relationship - Pick a company you like and stick with them. I find that having a long term relationship with an extension company is EVERYTHING! You get to know how they hair works and the extension company is more likely to be helpful when things go wrong. And it does go wrong from time to time. A good extension company will make that right.
BOTTOM LINE: It’s not just about the quality of hair extensions. I feel it is more important to get consistent quality. There are a lot of moving pieces that will determine if you have a good or not so good experience. Having a reputable brand that you do business with frequently helps.
You will learn what their quality “bandwidth” is. That just means some hair will be damn good and other times it will just be good. Be mindful of extreme fluctuations in quality - that is def a sign that you are buying from a reseller or upstart. You want a company that is getting their hair directly from the source so to speak.
That’s why we recommend Wicked Roots Hair Extensions for our Big Kizzy family. Pro extension products, great prices, excellent quality AND a solid warranty. Nice!